Graphic design is the art of visual communication that combines text, pictures and illustrations, colours and shapes. It’s to be noted that there is a difference between Visual Designers and Graphic Designers.
The graphic designer uses these elements in order to create posters, brochures, websites, magazines, books, billboards, logos and other types of media.
Graphic design is present everywhere. From billboards in the street and buses to magazines and newspapers; from product packages to websites.
Some of the most usual forms of graphic design are:
Advertisements, Logos, Websites, Business cards, Posters, Product Packages, Magazines and newspaper layouts, Books covers, Brochures, Billboards, Credit Cards, Banners, Sides of buses, Post Cards, Flyers, Newsletters and bulletins.
Many different software are used for graphic design. Some of the most popular are: Xara, Photo Pos, Magix Xtreme, Corel Draw, Photoshop, Print WorkShop, ACD Canvas, Paint, Scribus, InDesign, Illustrator, QuarkXpress, iStudio Publisher, Corel Ventura, Adobe PageMaker, Adobe FrameMaker, Ability PhotoPaint, Adobe FireWorks, ArtWeaver, Deluxe Paint, Deneba Canvas, GIMP, iPhoto.
A graphic designer needs to have many skills in order to be successful. Some of them are:
* Ability to use photoshop and understand the basic aspects of photo manipulation.
* Ability to work with vector based graphics, which is essential for logo designing and other types of artwork. The most used program for this purpose is Adobe Illustrator
* The ability to use a page layout software. This kind of software is used to create print work including book covers, magazines, newspapers and brochures. The most common programs used for this purpose are InDesign and Quark Express.
* The ability to use flash
* Generation of ideas. A good graphic designer has the ability to come up with new and great ideas all the time.
* Basic business skills. Every graphic designer should have some general knowledge on marketing, sales and accounting. These abilites are really important for freelancers and independent graphic designers.